The Melbourne Cup dates back to 1861 in which the first winner was a horse named Archer. Although we will only be looking at the results for the past five years. If you wish to know the names of past winners please visit our Melbourne Cup past winners page.
The Melbourne Cup results come out directly after the big race, which is the richest handicap event in the world. The Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup is worth a total of $6.2 million, which is why it attracts such a high quality field of contenders every year. Once the race is run and completed at 3.00pm on the first Tuesday of November, the official results are released to the public.
After the Melbourne Cup has been run and punters have had time to come to grips with the results, most people will take a close look at the official Melbourne Cup record. The results cover a lot of ground, which is one of the reasons why past results are also studied in any serious study before the event.
The Melbourne Cup results cover:
- Melbourne Cup winner – the first horse over the line.
- Melbourne Cup Exacta – the first two horses over the line.
- Melbourne Cup Quinella – the winner and runner-up in either order.
- Melbourne Cup Trifecta – the first three placegetters.
- Melbourne Cup First Four – the first four horses over the line.
- Melbourne Cup Finishing Order – the official results for the entire field.
- Melbourne Cup Scratchings – any horses who were scratched from the race.
- Melbourne Cup Margin – the margin enjoyed by the winner.
- Melbourne Cup Time – the official winning time.
|1||14||GREEN MOON (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||Brett Prebble||5||53.5kg||$20|
|2||11||FIORENTE (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||James McDonald||1L||2|